Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Few Days...

Well, the first two days of school are officially over.
I've met my new 3rd graders and so far so good.  I have
a class of 15 sweet boys and girls.  The first night I sent home
an "OWL" about me bag (instead of ALL about me) to be filled with 
goodies that tell about the student.  I loved listening and getting to 
know the students' likes and dislikes with these bags.





 Today we read one of my favorite "first week" of school picture
books, Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes.  We enjoyed reading 
the story and "harvesting" unusual words.  I asked the kids to listen
as I read and pick out interesting, unusual, or unfamiliar words.  They
did awesome and we came up with a list of 11 words.  We then
discussed each word and they recorded this in their Reading Journals.  
Here's my chart:


After we watched an animated version of Chrysanthemum on 
www.unitedstreaming.com, I introduced Readers' Theatre to the class.
They were excited as I assigned parts for our first readers' theatre....Chrysanthemum!
We began practicing reading and reading with expression today.
I can't wait to see how they do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment